The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub is a listed grade II building located on the south side at the corner of Ashley Road and Epsom High Street.
Built in the late 17th Century, with its outbuildings at 85-87 added in the 18th and 19th Century, it was one of Epsom’s foremost inns. However, the date of build dates back to 1701 with the intended purpose of a pub and inn.
Elizabeth North and her son Blackwell purchased the building shortly after its construction. He was a member of the Vintners company in London. So, the building originally took its name, The Black Spread Eagle, from the Austrian heraldic crest, whose eagle appeared on the bottles of wine the pub and hotel imported from the Rhineland.
Since, for many years a double headed eagle stood at the corner of the building. So, it was known to give racing tips for the derby for those in the know.
Rachel North outlived her son Blackwell. Then, brewers from Dorking and Guildford acquired the building on her death in 1764. The original building was able to accommodate horses as well as riders. And at the back behind the main building you can see the entrances to the former stable yard. It was well used at Derby time
During the 1820’s The Spread Eagle competed with other inns in Epsom to see who could provide the best stage coach service to Brighton.
The longest running landlord of the pub and inn was Cornelius Hunt; during his tenure he refurbished the building to accommodate a large assembly room to attract local gatherings and set aside a secret room for the Freemasons.
However, the pub and hotel business closed in the 1980’s and the building was reoccupied again in 2013 by Lester Bowden Outfitters.
For more interesting information about Epsom visit Local Plumbing Epsom Company homepage.
The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub is a listed grade II building…Read More >
The New Wells Epsom Most of all, The New Wells Epsom was a collection of shops and gathering…Read More >
St Stephen-on-the-Downs Church St Stephen-on-the-Downs Church is an Anglican daughter church of St Martin of Tours Epsom. And…Read More >
Rosebery Road Epsom Rosebery Road Epsom, is one of a number of roads named after Archibald Philip Primrose,…Read More >
Letter Box on Epsom High Street The Letter Box on Epsom High Street is conveniently located at the…Read More >
Epsom Playhouse Especially, Epsom Playhouse is a main theatre in Epsom and Ewell, Surrey. The 450 seat venue…Read More >
Epsom Clock Tower Epsom Clock Tower stands in the centre of Epsom High Street. It is where the…Read More >
Cicero's Trough Cicero's Trough is located outside the Rubbing House Pub right in the middle of the world…Read More >
Epsom Cemetery on Ashley Road Epsom Cemetery on Ashley Road, Epsom, and is run by Epsom and Ewell…Read More >