Rosebery Road Epsom, is one of a number of roads named after Archibald Philip Primrose, the 5th Earl of Rosebery. Also, its leafy turning off Langley Vale Road where cyclists whizz past on the Surrey Cycle Link route, leads to a quiet cul-de-sac. Mainly detached and individual houses line the street, leading to a pathway at the end onto the Epsom Downs.
There is also a wide access path with notice board giving a plan of the Downs half way along the road, leading up almost immediately to the training course for the race horses kept in nearby stables. Rosebery Road also is home to the local Langley Vale Village Hall and St Martin of Tours church, both of which run a range of events and groups for the community.
Like Rosebery House in public school, Epsom College, Rosebery Park in the centre of town, and a number of other roads, Rosebery Road recognises the gifts of land bequeathed to the borough by Lord Rosebery after his death. In addition, Rosebery was a British Prime Minister 1894-95, who succeeded Gladstone, as leader of the Liberal Party.
Accordingly, he was also first chairman of London County Council, who tired of politics after the Liberals lost the 1895 election and left the boredom of political office and focused on his skills as an outstanding sportsman and marksman, an orator, writer and historian, connoisseur and collector. Also he remained closely associated with Epsom throughout his life. So, having first become affiliated by buying and entering a race horse called Ladas in the Derby in 1869, costing him his place at Oxford University from which he was expelled for this illegal misdemeanour. Sadly for Lord Rosebery, Ladas came in last place. However, he became a prominent figure in British horse racing for the next forty years.
You can find more blog posts about Epsom from the homepage of your Expert Plumbing Company Epsom website.
The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub is a listed grade II building…Read More >
The New Wells Epsom Most of all, The New Wells Epsom was a collection of shops and gathering…Read More >
St Stephen-on-the-Downs Church St Stephen-on-the-Downs Church is an Anglican daughter church of St Martin of Tours Epsom. And…Read More >
Rosebery Road Epsom Rosebery Road Epsom, is one of a number of roads named after Archibald Philip Primrose,…Read More >
Letter Box on Epsom High Street The Letter Box on Epsom High Street is conveniently located at the…Read More >
Epsom Playhouse Especially, Epsom Playhouse is a main theatre in Epsom and Ewell, Surrey. The 450 seat venue…Read More >
Epsom Clock Tower Epsom Clock Tower stands in the centre of Epsom High Street. It is where the…Read More >
Cicero's Trough Cicero's Trough is located outside the Rubbing House Pub right in the middle of the world…Read More >
Epsom Cemetery on Ashley Road Epsom Cemetery on Ashley Road, Epsom, and is run by Epsom and Ewell…Read More >