Epsom Clock Tower stands in the centre of Epsom High Street. It is where the market now covers over the pond which existed from the Middle Ages. So, it acts as a proud marker for the town’s central shopping district, and has acted as a focus point for most historic prominent events in Epsom, including Royal Jubilee celebrations and various Coronations over the past hundred and seventy years
Built in 1847, the clock tower is 70 ft high and originally featured 4 heraldic lions at the base of the tower, but which were replaced first by lanterns in 1902, and then by the current globe lights in 1920. At this time, public conveniences were also constructed either side of the tower for those visiting the town centre.
The clock tower replaced a weather-boarded watch house, which had stood in the same spot since the 17th century Spa made Epsom a popular destination to visit and and location to reside. For those dis-orderlies caught by the local police constable, the watchtower acted as a temporary goal, often kept over night before being escorted to trial in the nearest town.
Accordingly, the building was thought old fashioned by the early 1700s. But the clock was still notedly praised by traveller Celia Fiennes. Then it continued to function not only as a lock up, but as a fire engine house, the role of which continued to the new Clock 1847. Also a bell was added in 1867 from the foundry of G.E. Mears, to used as a fire alarm, rung by a hammer.
When the new tower’s foundation stone was laid on 19th November 1847 by chairman of the rebuilding committee, Thomas Tompson, there was much celebration. Whilst the committee went to the Kings Head for a large meal, the locals took to the streets to drink.
Since, in September 1937, as Epsom and Ewell were formed as a borough, a charter declaring the official connection was handed over at the foot of the Epsom Clock Tower, marking the importance of the site to the town and to the local area.
Furthermore, visit the homepage of Cheap Plumbing Epsom Company website for information on Epsom.
The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub The Spread Eagle Hotel and Pub is a listed grade II building…Read More >
The New Wells Epsom Most of all, The New Wells Epsom was a collection of shops and gathering…Read More >
St Stephen-on-the-Downs Church St Stephen-on-the-Downs Church is an Anglican daughter church of St Martin of Tours Epsom. And…Read More >
Rosebery Road Epsom Rosebery Road Epsom, is one of a number of roads named after Archibald Philip Primrose,…Read More >
Letter Box on Epsom High Street The Letter Box on Epsom High Street is conveniently located at the…Read More >
Epsom Playhouse Especially, Epsom Playhouse is a main theatre in Epsom and Ewell, Surrey. The 450 seat venue…Read More >
Epsom Clock Tower Epsom Clock Tower stands in the centre of Epsom High Street. It is where the…Read More >
Cicero's Trough Cicero's Trough is located outside the Rubbing House Pub right in the middle of the world…Read More >
Epsom Cemetery on Ashley Road Epsom Cemetery on Ashley Road, Epsom, and is run by Epsom and Ewell…Read More >